Friday 10 July 2020

Double agent


I’m an assassin of truth; I’m a double agent 
I hide in the shadows, as my lies I invent
I play two opposing roles that contradict 
My double dealing leads me into conflict 
My identity is fluid; I work undercover 
I rapidly switch between traitor and lover 
adopting many strange and incompatible positions 
unable to reconcile contrasting propositions 
I know what’s right, and know what I should do 
but like a moth to the flame, I’m attracted to 
a dangerous and destructive fiery light 
and I find myself choosing wrong instead of right 

I’m constant but capricious 
trusting yet suspicious 
I’m truthful but mendacious 
staid and yet outrageous 
I’m thoughtful but unfeeling 
hidden yet revealing 
I wound instead of healing 
I’m standing when I’m kneeling 

I live a double life both awake and in my dreams 
What you think you see of me is not what it seems 
Beneath this cool surface I’m a mine of contradictions 
Don’t be too surprised when I confound your predictions 
You can tell me by the ways my mind is always changing 
An identity crisis that is constantly rearranging 
I’ve build my foundations on shifting sands 
with my two faced double standards and the blood on my hands 

Steve Wheeler © 10 July, 2020 

This poem first appeared in the collection Sacred (2020) by Steve Wheeler

No comments:

Post a Comment