Saturday 12 September 2020

Daily Mail in the style of Maya Angelou

Which poets do you enjoy reading? For me there are many, but there's one in particular at the moment. I'm inspired by Brian Bilston and have read a lot of his work. Recently I was wading through You Took The Last Bus Home, and one poem stood out for me (and there are many). It was his How Much I Dislike The Daily Mail that appealed to both my sense of justice and also sense of humour. This prompted me to wonder what other poets might have thought of the Daily Mail. I decided to write a series of poems in the styles of other poets to explore the idea. Here's the first, in the style of Maya Angelou. More to follow!












The Daily Mail

When it comes to me, unwanted,
Beckoning me
To read its drivel,
Where the prejudices lie.

Offering me, as to a child, instruction
Right wing invective, diatribe.
Baubles of stolen stories.
Trinkets of borrowed fiction.
Trunks of hatred words,

I CRY.



Steve Wheeler © 10 September, 2020


This poem was first published in Urban Voices by Steve Wheeler, Wheelsong Books, 2020.




No comments:

Post a Comment