Sunday 11 April 2021

Pop Vulture



I'm a pinball wizard in a yellow submarine 
I'm a honky cat in an electric dream 
I'm a wild thing playing on a tambourine 
Man, I was the lover of the Russian Queen 

I was raised in the House of the Rising Sun 
I don't like Mondays and I have a warm gun 
with hot legs like these I was born to run 
I'm leaving on a jet plane it's a quarter after one 

I'm hungry like a wolf, and I cry like a dove 
God only knows, under the moon above 
Put my helmet on and it fits like a glove 
Saturday's for fighting but it's Friday I'm in love 

I never kept my face in a jar by the door 
I shot the Sheriff, and I fought the law 
I won't be a hero when two tribes go to war 
through the barricades, I can't take it any more

Can't get no satisfaction from the Memphis blues 
I cried me a river on my blue suede shoes 
I'm a champagne supernova, I'm yesterday's news 
I'm an afternoon delight on the Heartache Avenue

I was born in a crossfire hurricane
I'd do anything for love but you're just so vain
I'm a Johnny come lately, you're my Lady Jane
You leave me hanging on the telephone 
again and again

I'm the Wichita lineman, you could make me a star 
or a fool on the hill with my weeping guitar 
You could be my baby, you could drive my car 
but you're working as a waitress in a cocktail bar


Steve Wheeler © 12 April, 2021

Image source

3 comments:

  1. There are at least 51 popular songs embedded in this poem. Can you spot them all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!
    Nicely done, Steve!
    The only one I couldn't immediately summon to mind was 'lover of the Russian Queen'. I've never been so proud NOT to be able to remember the dire Boney M immediately! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, well done. Boney M speak very highly of you btw :)

      Delete