Wednesday 15 September 2021

Hall of mirrors



I once dated an anaesthetist 
but she couldn’t stay awake 
I tried the horn of plenty 
it was more than I could take 
A radiologist once asked me 
if I would like to kiss her 
but her x-ray eyes saw through me 
even though I didn’t resist her 

I went on the town with Dali 
we drank whiskey on the rocks 
We spent the evening painting 
crazy eyes and melting clocks 
I encountered David Hemery 
 on platform eight at Reading 
He was running late, so I can’t say 
which direction he was heading

On my next available birthday 
 I’m the age of sixty-five 
I really can’t explain to you 
why I am still alive 
The crazy things I did at school 
continued all through college 
If anything they intensified 
because I had more knowledge

I’ve stepped on stage a thousand times 
to play my axe and sing 
and once I even fell right through 
on a prayer, not on a wing 
When I shared the bill with Wozniak 
we talked of Apple pies 
Took selfies with my Samsung 
and he didn’t roll his eyes

McCartney knocked upon my door 
Said he had the wrong post code 
He’d travelled quite a distance 
on a long and winding road
Ringo did the same next day 
so this must be quite some house 
All I need now’s Jimmy Tarbuck 
and I’ll be speaking Scouse

I once got on the wrong train 
and I ended up in Dover 
The white cliffs were a lovely sight 
but I wished my trip was over 
Being lost I guess has been 
for me, an old familiar rhyme 
But as my life’s so boring 
it just helps to pass the time 


Steve Wheeler © 15 September, 2021
image source: Mike Pennington

No comments:

Post a Comment