Saturday 4 September 2021

I burn my candle at both ends



I burn my candle at both ends. 
This is not what I 
would choose to do, 
but in its own way 
perhaps it chooses me.
To put my mind at rest 
is not a natural thing for me to do.
My body rests but my mind 
rages on, plagued and plucked at 
by vivid imagery and thoughts, 
dichotomies and similes, 
comparisons and homilies, 
fast flowing lists of trivia 
and entire vast coastal plains 
of raw poetry.

Tell me this, 
what would you rather 
have me be; a mind that sleeps 
and vegetates, or a mind that 
continues to create, to mould, 
to cogitate on worlds 
imagined and unreal?
Many questions hover 
here inside these restless, 
ranging hemispheres. 
Whether the enamelled nails 
adorning hands, or 
iron nails that scar them? 
Is there intelligent life 
on this blue planet, and if so 
then where may it be found? 
How can you tell one politician 
from the next, except by 
the colour of their lies?

Yes, I burn the candle at both ends. 
And yes, the wick has finite qualities. 
I may not last another night, 
I may be found at the foot 
of someone else’s bed.
You may yet discover me 
abandoned in some foreign wasteland.

I will not burn forever, and who knows 
where and when my two flames meet? 
But when they do, oh what 
glorious conflagration they will make!



Steve Wheeler © 4 September, 2021
image source: Patrick Feller

No comments:

Post a Comment