Tuesday 5 January 2021

We all fall down




















The disco Rollarena 
down by the yacht marina 
was a human melodrama 
I wish I’d brought me camera 
to capture all the clamour 
We’d skate around in circles 
‘till we all fell down 

I'd pretend I couldn’t skate, 
chat up girls and stay out late 
My knee pads simply bait 
as I fixed meself a date 
‘cos the future wouldn’t wait 
then my head would spin in circles 
as the world fell down 

To our Sony Walkman beats 
we’d go skating through the streets 
cruising pavements and concrete 
on those roller blades of heat 
that destroyed our bleeding feet 
as we skated cross the cobbles 
‘till we all fell down 

In the Eighties skater creed 
we would feel the need for speed 
crashing down so hard we’d bleed 
get back up and not concede 
keep it rolling, feed the need 
Skating over potholes 
made us all fall down 


Steve Wheeler © 5 January, 2021


No comments:

Post a Comment