Friday 16 April 2021

Silver Screens

I published my third volume of poetry, Urban Voices, back in December 2020, and this poem - about all of the lost/closed cinemas in my home town of Plymouth, stood out as one I would like to read live. I used to go regularly to the 'picture palaces' to watch new films when I was younger. I think I took a different girlfriend to see each of the Star Wars films, but that's material for another poem, another day. Now all the old cinemas (we used to call them 'fleapits') are gone, replaced by restaurants, snooker and bingo halls and builders warehouses. All that is available is two multiplex cinemas to serve a population of more than 300,000 people. 

Yesterday, sat in my Dad's garden, surrounded by greenery and buffeted by the chilly April winds, I recorded the poem - Silver Screens - and posted it to YouTube. Below is the link. It has captions. You can turn down the sound if you don't wish to listen to my voice, and read the poem instead. It's probably better for all concerned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment