Wednesday 10 March 2021

Blinded by the light



Silence of the night 
Solitude and cocoa mugs 
Congeal together 

Motionless in dark 
Not a sliver of light here 
In this pool of black

My eyes are open 
Or perhaps my eyes are closed 
Too dark to decide

My clock marks the hours 
Sentinel of a time slide 
As it slips away

Sleep eludes me now 
A whisper of a garment 
Keeps me wide awake

Morning will soon come
Dawn will caress my window 
With her pale fingers

Insomnia reigns 
My mind busy with its thoughts
Resisting all rest 

I fall silently 
into the vivid dreams of 
Rapid eye movement

Sudden hypnic jerk 
Dream of falling from great heights 
Wide awake again

My bedside lamp stand 
Switched on inadvertently 
Blinded by the light 


Steve Wheeler © 10 March, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment