Friday 26 March 2021

The awe in #autism

I have probably experienced mild autism all my life. I say probably, because I was never diagnosed. That doesn't minimise anything though. When our third child, Sam was born, it wasn't long before he began to exhibit some of the classic traits of autism spectrum behaviour. It made his early years in school hell, and the teachers struggled to understand him. Now grown to be a tall, talented 25 year old, with a degree in web design, Sam has adapted well to his neuro-diverse life. 

I wrote a story about a little boy called George (a fictitious character) to illustrate some of the thought processes autistic people can experience. I published the story in my most recent book Small Lights Burning. Here is a video of me reading Locked Inside. 



No comments:

Post a Comment