Monday 1 March 2021

I can write a poem about anything



Be wary of those poets and be careful where their gaze is
‘cos where they look may be the subject for their phrases
Now I’m no exception, I’m a lyrical magpie
I’m gonna grab ideas from whatever I can spy
I write about romance and I write about love
about the earth below me and the sky above
The moon, the stars, the clouds, and the sea
the sunrise or the sunset, it’s all the same to me
Do all the flowers bloom at the start of the spring?
well, I can write a poem about anything

I write about death and I write about birth
and the ecological violence we’ve done to this Earth
I write about injustices and poverty
and about the rich excesses in society
I got verses condemning the obscenities of wealth
I’ve written about sickness and written about health
Do butterflies float, do honey bees sting?
I can write a poem about anything

I write about rebellion and I write about compliance
I write about the tensions between faith and science
I got verses about curses I got lines that make you shiver
I got lines that are sometimes awkward to deliver
I write about obsessions and I write about perversion
those awkward events you don’t include in conversation
Could Fred Astaire dance, could Pavarotti sing?
I can write a poem about anything

My poems cover incidents and accidents and consequence
My poems have coincidence, and diffidence and confidence
My poetry is humorous, my poetry is dark
My verses are ironic and sometimes full of snark
Hopefully, my poetry will make you stop and think
It may not prick your conscience but the truth is in the ink
We recognise each artist by the talents they can bring
and I can write a poem about anything

I write about pop culture and I cover propaganda
You’ll find many famous characters embedded in my stanzas
from Lennon to Lenin, and from Marilyn to Mao
there’s no point being squeamish as I slay the sacred cow
From rock ‘n’ roll music to the movie industry,
from notorious criminals to names from history
When you step into the shower does the telephone ring?
and I can write a poem about anything

Good, bad, indifferent, everyone’s fair game
if they fit into my poem I’ll be dropping their names
No-one’s ever safe, and no character’s taboo
Stick around me long enough I’ll write about you too
‘cos everyone’s a target and if on you the spotlight stops
you may be the next subject of the stanzas that I drop
Just as certainly as Monica married Chandler Bing
Friends, I can write a poem about anything

I write lines about our history and previous events
of battles and of struggles, attacking and defence
The Irish uprising, the American depression
Poems of contrition, or poems of confession
The war of independence and the Russian revolution
If anything we’ve learnt that war is never the solution
I haven’t got a dollar, I’ve never owned a thing
but I can write a poem about anything

I got lines about falsehood, the losers and the winners
I got stanzas for the saintly and poems for the sinners
I write about triumph and I write about despair
I write about anything if it’ll keep you in that chair
I got poems for the lonely and poems for the crowd
my lines can make you humble, or they can make you proud
You may suffer like a pauper, you may live like a king
but I can write a poem about anything

I write them while I’m laughing and I write them while I weep
I can even write the damn things while I’m drifting off to sleep
I can writing them in the bathroom I can write them on the stair
I can write them in the kitchen and just about any other where
When it gets into the blood the infection quickly spreads
‘til the rhythms and the rhymes are running round inside your head
You ask me if I’m crazy, but I really couldn’t care
‘cos it won’t keep me from poetry, it always gets me there
Just like fishes swim in water and birds fly on the wing
Yeah, I can write a poem about anything


Steve Wheeler © 1 March 2021

image by Fredrik Rubensson

No comments:

Post a Comment